Suzuki Savage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bluing on pipes

4 posters

Go down

bluing on pipes Empty bluing on pipes

Post  kimchris1 Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Well being the other site is still down and I can't go to the refrence site there, I figured I would ask it here in this forum.

I have some bluing and discoloration on my pipes. I am thinking the cause came from some of the deicer stuff they put on the roads here. When we did the toy run Dec 5 I am sure I got some on my pipes. I was unable to wash the bike upon the return trip home.

I used the blue job and am not too impressed with the results. I made a paste and let it sat for a bit and then rubbed till my arm hurt. It took some of it off yet not to my liking.

My question is, can I use a sos pad and rud softly along with the blue job? Or will is scatch my pipe? My muffler is fine with no discoloration.
The blue off did a great job of taking off the black scuff marks off of my muffler.

Or could I be idling my bike too fast to cause the discoloration?

Any help is much appreciated.. Thanks.. Kim

kimchris1

Back to top Go down

bluing on pipes Empty Re: bluing on pipes

Post  Bouletard Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:51 pm

I had about the same results with "Blue Away" on my header.. it got most of the blue off after much rubbing, but not all of it. I will live with the remaining discoloration.

About the SOS pad.. the nylon kind, or steel? I have heard that nylon or even crumpled aluminum foil is ok to scrub with, but I wouldn't use a harder material than that. On mine I did everything with paper towels.. the paste seemed abrasive enough.

Bouletard
Admin

https://suzukisavage.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

bluing on pipes Empty Blue Job "Before and After"

Post  False Illusion Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 am

Kimchris1,

I used Blue Job and the first app didn't turn out so well. I then reapplied and let sit for at least 10 min. after which I used some serious elbow grease to remove it.

Here are the results:

Before:

bluing on pipes BeforeBlue-Job

After:

bluing on pipes AfterBlue-Job

As Boule'tard stated, not all discoloration was removed...but it's way better than before. Next time, I will use a small buffing wheel on my DeWalt...less blisters. Wink

HTH!
False Illusion
False Illusion

Back to top Go down

Post  mick Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Bouletard wrote:I had about the same results with "Blue Away" on my header.. it got most of the blue off after much rubbing, but not all of it. I will live with the remaining discoloration.

About the SOS pad.. the nylon kind, or steel? I have heard that nylon or even crumpled aluminum foil is ok to scrub with, but I wouldn't use a harder material than that. On mine I did everything with paper towels.. the paste seemed abrasive enough.
I know it's way late but I found blue job to be just about useless,I had a gun bluing kit and I thought I would try that, just warm up the pipe a bit ,not hot just warm,then soak it with blue remover ,that comes with the kit,and in just a few apps off it comes, along with some metal polish.
mick
mick

Back to top Go down

bluing on pipes Empty bluing on pipes

Post  kimchris1 Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks Mick for the bit of advice. I shall look and see if hubby has any of this bluing for his guns. If not I will buy some and give it a try. Nice pic of your Miata too.. Kim

kimchris1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum